Gone Coastal

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Lullabyes

Within hours of Trinity's arrival (basically the first time I picked her up on my own), I found myself drawn to sing to her. I'd had a good stack of tunes downloaded to the Bear's PDA so I could listen to them in the hospital, and a few songs from that set lent themselves well to the task, though they weren't really lullabyes, per se. Over the next couple of weeks I scoured my memory for good songs to sing, and found a few, but really felt there was still something missing. I'd even had a few lines running through my mind for a personal lullabye for Trinity, but I felt I needed something to start with, particularly something with more of a blessing and prayer than most of the mainstream rhymes I could remember.

So last week I took another detour past the local christian bookstore. There I picked up another Third Day CD (one of the first songs I sang to her in the hospital was Third Day's When The Rain Comes) and a CD of songs for baby, I Love You - Songs of Love and Blessing from a Mother's Heart. As I listened to the latter disc with Trinity, it occurred to me that some of the songs are probably first and foremost a comfort to nervous parents. One starts with the following lines:
When my arms have put you down
His loving arms are still around you
And when my sleepy eyes are closed
His loving eyes are watching over you

I certainly found comfort in them through the darker hours of the week.
I'd love to hear any favourite songs you remember being sung to you or singing to your own babies.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • I'm very much with you on the dark and beautiful. I think just the contrast with the dark makes the beauty that much more stunning and precious.

    By Blogger Coastal, at 10:24 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home