Gone Coastal

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Got Milk?

I'm happy to report I can finally answer that question with a resounding 'YES!' Now we just have to convince Trinity that it's worth the effort to suck it out herself. While we were most grateful Monday night for a long stretch between feedings, allowing us to catch up a little on the elusive shuteye, by mid-morning yesterday she had us concerned as she was rather too content to just keep sleeping rather than eating. Our first checkup with the Doc early afternoon confirmed officially that she was fairly jaundiced - not too uncommon in newborns - but by then she was more than just a bit yellow, but resembling much more a ragdoll than the spunky fighter that came out of me just a few days before.
It's been a very long day and night since, with formula supplements and extra attention to keep her active and alert, but late yesterday, Trinity was finally able to prime the pump for me, so to speak. The milk has been flowing with ever greater consistency since, with the help of a pump (sucking again in the background as I type - the only reason I can find time to post this) and together with the formula feedings she's turning the corner and perking up again. Still a little lazy with the actual feedings, but the day is still young.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Congratulations on your newborn! Hope you get more comfortable with feedings, I'm sure everything will even out into something like a routine soon. That first week is crazy but before you know it she'll be nursing like a pro.
    The best piece of advice I've ever recieved is to try skin on skin when you're trying to wake her up to feed. I used to panic when my third would sleep through feedings but my Pediatritian told me not to get too worried if she sleeps "too long" she'll make up for it when she wakes up. Anyway, hope you enjoy these days despite the sleep deprivation, they really do go in the blink of an eye.

    By Blogger faith ann raider, at 6:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home