Gone Coastal

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Heroes

There's a chapter in the Creative Calling book titled Forgiving. I think it's safe to say most of us can identify people in our lives, past and even present, who have discouraged us from pursuing our arts. It may be direct or indirect, and in some cases quite well-intentioned, but some of these words or actions have contributed to the choices we've made to set aside or minimize our creative pursuits. It's necessary to recognize those barriers and forgive the people behind them if we are to move forward and invest in the gifts the Lord has given us. Some are simple to deal with, others take time and considerable effort to work through.
In the latter part of the chapter, though, the book looks at the other side. Those people in your life who helped you to recognize your gifts, supported you in pursuing and developing them, gave you constructive feedback or opportunities to exercise your talents, or simply inspired you through their own life and work. One of the exercises is to make a list of these people and write in your daybook about them, highlighting the impact of one or two of them. I've done so in my daybook, but I'd like to share at least some of my list here, and maybe inspire some of you to think about your own heroes and take courage from them.
Here's to some of my heroes:
J&J M - for sharing the vision, sharing their own perspectives on creative expression, the bumps and hurdles they've faced. For finding a special frame for the Christmas greeting I sent them.
RT - for also sharing her journey and creative explorations. For calling me an artist and writer in her own blog and sending readers my way. And reading all my ramblings.
Laila - a colleague of mine in a similar technical line of work, but also with an artists heart. A dabbler in many media, like myself, and a reminder that life can and must exist beyond the office.
Bobbie - another colleague for having the courage, after a few years of soul-searching, to step right out of the tech world to go back to school in graphic design.
Sheryl Wilson - one of the first Christians I got to know personally who was living as an artist, i.e. making art in various forms was her primary vocation, whatever else she did to make a living was secondary.
Craig Davis - a high school art teacher, dad of another student from a church I attended for awhile during university. I took the time to meet with him and discuss his own work and perspectives on being an artist and a Christian.
GA - an old roommate, for pursuing passion for supporting alternative and independent Christian recording artists, and for introducing me to some of my still-favourite musical groups, Prism Magazine and CIVA.
Colin Harbinson & Steve Scott - contributors to a collection of essays from ArtRageous, a visual arts subfestival at the annual Cornerstone festival in Illinois - a place I'd love to go in person some day. Provided much rich food for thought on arts and Christianity.
Douglas Cardinal - an architect whose work I've admired, including my favourite building in Hull, Quebec - the Canadian Museum of Civilization.
Over the Rhine, Vigilantes of Love - two of the musical groups introduced to me by GA.

Who are some of your heroes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home