Gone Coastal

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Oh, brother!

As I suggested a couple of posts ago, the second time around as an expectant mama is quite different. You're busy following the new developments of your first, and likely just trying to keep up. And there's a little less mystery. You've been through this before and much of what you're experiencing is at least somewhat familiar. And you know what's coming. Now and then you stop and try to remember. Did that come earlier this time? Or, that's a little different. But I, for one, am far less worried about little things, though, I think I was not so worried during pregnancy the first time as I was after Tweetie arrived.
When you're waiting for your first, you take in all the information you can get from books and websites, friends and strangers, hoping to prepare yourself. You listen to everyone's theories about whether boys are easier than girls or vice versa, their experiences and perspectives on everything from breastfeeding to setting up the nursery.
With the second, I've found the weeks and months slipping past. I'm only days away from the halfway marker in this pregnancy. Lots of things are different, and I have to wonder what other surprises are in store. Tweetie's been a sweetheart from the start, but being a mother is still the hardest job I've ever done. How will I handle the second, especially if this one's a little less considerate.
And for the last week and a half, I've had a new set of questions running through my mind. Like, how will raising a little boy be different from my little girl?

Yup, it's official. Tweetie's getting a little brother. I won't post the picture showing that equipment, though it's pretty unmistakable. You can see, however, from this shot of the little guy's profile (let's call him Sylvester until we meet him in person) that he's also fully equipped with the same cheeks as his big sister.

4 Comments:

  • Wow! I can already see the little guy's wheels turning in his head. Advanced calculus perhaps?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 a.m.  

  • It was the other way around for me. What will it be like to have a girl instead of a boy for the second one. The "plumbing" made a difference in that I didn't need to worry about keeping her covered when I changed a diaper. The whizzing fountains of pee were a trial when the diaper slipped during changing with my son. :) Other than that, there was not much difference in my parenting style. The personalities were definitely different but you would have that with same sex children as well.

    Congrats on your little boy! I told Jack that you were having a boy. Only a very determined little guy would have fought to survive like he did. My sense is he'll be calm, patient, friendly, and extremely determined.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:43 a.m.  

  • Congratulations to the little guy. When my sister in law had a girl after her boy, she declared that to be the sign her family was complete. "Anything more would just be redundant." she said.

    By Blogger Mrs. Cowan, at 4:28 p.m.  

  • That sounds about right.

    By Blogger Coastal, at 11:08 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home