Gone Coastal

Thursday, May 10, 2007

We have arrived...

...at the starting gate. Today marks Yesterday marked ten years of blissful marriage for the Bear and I. Okay, ten years of ups and downs, trials and triumphs. But ten very worthwhile years.
I don't remember the exact context, but somewhere in the last year I heard someone describe any marriage less than ten years as a 'starter marriage'. (Sadly, among a lot of folks I've worked with, that term is applied to their first, short-lived marriage. I'm thankful to not be in that situation). His point was that much of the first ten years is spent figuring things out. Looking back at all the lessons learned, about what's really important to us, how to understand each other, and what we really meant by all those things we said when we were dating, I'd have to agree there's a lot of truth to it.
We made it this far, and that's worth celebrating. We went out for a nice dinner, just the two of us. A big thanks goes out to our friends up the block for taking Tweetie for the evening, handling two eight-month-olds together. They look pretty cute together actually, and their son, being just over a week younger, often tries to copy Tweetie's tricks in the days following a playdate.
I often think I would've liked to have started our family sooner, but when I look at some of the ground we've covered in our marriage, and the refining work God's done in both of us in that time, I know that our little girl is already ahead, even if her parents are finding it harder to keep up these days. I hope to spend the next few decades building on this foundation, and I hope when Tweetie's grown and possibly ready to get married herself, we'll have provided something she can aspire to in her own marriage.
Here's to the journey!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Happy Anniversary from the gang down here!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:35 p.m.  

  • And thanks to you guys for timing your own event the day before, so Minnow's birthday wouldn't overlap with our anniversary!

    By Blogger Coastal, at 9:26 p.m.  

  • Well said Coastal. Being at the 9 year mark, I suppose we are still inching our way to the starting gate. But the years are sweet and filled with learning. And waiting for the Muppet was the best thing we ever did too.

    Much love to you all.

    By Blogger Tex, at 9:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home