Gone Coastal

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A prayer

I have two sick babies at home right now. The Bear went for a long deep dive the other weekend with insufficient woolies and got a chill. Which left him wide open for the first bug he encountered back on dry land. Whether it's truly a nasty bug or it just got fully entrenched before his body could fight it off, he's been dragging his weary shell around for a week now.
Somewhere along the way, Tweety picked it up. It took me a couple of days and a rough night on her part to clue in, as she's also working on her two upper front teeth. Low-grade fever, crankiness, and reduced appetite are not unheard of during teething, and were all present at some point as she pushed the first two out. Vomiting, not so much. Fortunately, the Bear can talk and that gives me at least a clue to what she may be dealing with.
All that to say I've been spending time praying over both of them in recent days, but especially the one that fits nicely over my shoulder. Those captive moments spent holding her offer time for reflection, and after praying for healing and comfort I find myself praying things like this:
Lord, I pray that you would comfort her, that your presence would surround her when I'm not with her. And Lord I pray that that presence, your Spirit, would become familiar to her, long before she can understand in our 'intellectual' terms who you are.
You speak in your word of revealing your truths to little children, that the kingdom of heaven belongs to them, and even that we must become like them to enter your kingdom ourselves. Lord, I don't fully understand all that you mean by that. Please give me wisdom. Teach me. But above all, Lord, help me not to stifle that childlike trust and understanding in my little girl. Humble me, so as she grows and begins to speak and act from that place, I wouldn't simply dismiss her thoughts and actions as childish. Help me to listen to your voice in her.
Show me what I used to know.

In Jesus' name
Amen

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • I am echoing your prayer- beautiful. And I do pray they get well soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 a.m.  

  • I'm also praying. These are the times that try a mother's soul. :-)

    By Blogger Mrs. Cowan, at 11:51 a.m.  

  • It sounds horrible, but sometimes the little one's easier to care for when she's sick. She sleeps more, meaning I can catch up on a few other things or maybe nap myself. And when she's up, she's needs less variety in stimulation ('what do I do with you now?') and is more likely to just want cuddling, and I can always handle more of that!
    Yes, it's all punctuated with cries and fussing and the discomforts you can't always fix, but when the good meds kick in and she's had some rest, she always tries to be her happy self and smile.

    By Blogger Coastal, at 12:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home