Gone Coastal

Monday, March 19, 2007

Road Trip!

So, since the addition of Tango to our clan, we've made a few hops off of our island, mainly to my mom's and back, and she's been a pretty good traveller all things considered. This week put her to a real test, though. We were heading inland. It seems that whenever we have a chance to go somewhere inland, there've been a list of things accumulating that we 'oughtta take care of the next time we're out that way.'
This trip is no different. We have our family wagon to be serviced in the interior, the Bear's bachelor days sports car, 'The Rocket', to be picked up and trailered from there to the Kootenays til it can be restored and sold, work for the Bear to do in the Kootenays, and of course lots of visiting back in the interior.
Day One. Drive two vehicles with a week and a half worth of baby care and entertainment supplies, several bags and bins of work gear and a generator keeping the pickup well-weighted, two dogs and their requisite gear to my mom's on the mainland. Mom's looking after the hounds while we're away, so everyone there'll get their exercise. The ferry trip is old hat by now, and the break in the middle of the drive makes it relatively easy on Tango. She successfully tested out the high chairs in the buffet. It was a hit, 0r at least she thought the rail was rather tasty!
Day Two. Drive the same two vehicles, minus the canines, to the interior. Pickup a trailer, fetch and load the rocket on said trailer (which unfortunately involved a locksmith) and squeeze in a little visiting. Pushed past several rest stops as she was still quiet in back. Finally decided to stop about an hour short of our goal - by this time I had to pee - and changed and fed her. Unfortunately, she wasn't too keen on getting back in the car and fussed a fair bit on the last leg and after every stop we had to make once in town. Pretty relaxed once the driving was done, though.
Day Three. Convoy the family wagon behind pickup towing trailered HSPPV (ask the Bear) to the dealership and drop off the family wagon. (Yes, this means that all the baby and travel gear is now stuffed into the tiny sports car cockpit) She obliged by filling her diaper before we left the dealership so no-one had to endure foul odours while we searched for a trailer-friendly pull-out on a one-lane highway later on (that's my girl - always considerate). Now, Tango likes riding in the truck. She gets to be up front (not much of an option, there) instead of alone in the back seat. And apart from showing signs of hunger a little sooner than we were able to stop, she was pretty cooperative. She'd just watch everything that was happening. And sampled a little finger-tip of garlic coil when the bottle wasn't available. "Interesting."
We are getting signs that she may be a little too smart for our own good. One of these came when we got to the little ferry crossing en route. She'd finally had her bottle and was free now to get out of her seat for a stretch. I was going to take the opportunity to change her, and handed her over to the Bear in the driver's seat so I could get geared up for the job. He picked her up, sat her on his lap, and I swear within two seconds she had both hands on the wheel, trying to turn it and, by the look on her face, wondering why it didn't move the way it did when Dad worked it. A very dangerous sort of girl.
The trip out ended with perfect timing. The Bear's family had got back to their place just a short while before us, as had their friend with the backhoe clearing the several feet of snow off the driveway. Rocket and engine were safely unloaded and we all came in to warm up.

In a few days we'll start the trip, a little more lightly loaded, in reverse, stopping in the interior for a few days and celebrating anniversaries with some good friends. Any excuse for a party, right?

Labels: , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home