Gone Coastal

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Back to the drawing board

Way back in the summer I'd made a few posts about a book I was working through called The Creative Call. The last chapters I was reading and posting on were about making time and space to pursue that creative call. Well, it's been awhile, but I recently got back to the book. And I recently finished doing a little rearranging in the nursery to incorporate a little workspace for myself. (I feel like I've written some of this before, but hopefully it was just in e-mails - forgive me if I'm repeating myself). I also managed to migrate most of my art supplies upstairs, including a few old canvases from another abandoned project, and taken a little inventory.
Which leaves me at every artist's favourite spot - getting something started. Along with the usual barriers to starting something (lack of ideas is not currently one of them), my biggest thing right now is not knowing quite how much time I'll ever have at one shot to do anything. So while I've been able to leave a pencil out and do some preliminary scribbling on those canvases, it'll take a bit more courage to actually get some paint out, or anything else that might require a bit of set up before and cleanup after. I'm afraid I'll just get all the paints and brushes out and opened, and then I'll find myself busy 'on call' for four or five hours and wind up wasting paint and ruining brushes. I'm sure I'll find a way around it eventually if I try.
In the meantime, though, I've been chatting with one of my colleagues from my pre-maternity days who's facing the same challenge to get something started. After comparing fears and talking about the pros of taking a class just to allocate specific time, we've decided to have our own little 'class'. We're going to get together once or twice as the holiday schedules allow, and then in January try to start a regular weekly thing of getting together. We may work on stuff. Or share ideas. Or share progress on stuff we're working on. Or whatever. It's mostly deciding to allocate time to do what we need to do to keep our artist alive and in practice.
I'm eager to see what comes of it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home