Gone Coastal

Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Fly on the Wall

We've all heard it said. "I'd like to be a fly on the wall in there..." And if you've said it, you know the implication is that something is happening, somewhere beyond your own reach, and you'll never get the full story without being there, in the room. But being there either isn't possible, or it would change the way things happened. It expresses a desire to see the full picture, not filtered through anyone else's perspective.
But have you ever wished that perhaps there could be a fly on your wall? An objective perspective that sees everything that happens, everything that's said, everything you've got on your plate. And from that perspective, the fly could maybe justify those choices that you've made but aren't quite comfortable with. Or tell you that you really are out of line. Or determine whether you've any right to feel the way you do. Essentially, to give you what you hope is an objective, complete perspective on those questions that nag you about your marriage, other relationships, how you manage your household, parenting, work, ministry, whatever.
Sometimes we're able to get honest insight from a close confidant, but we know that their view will be influenced by how we explain the situation, and what they know of us and any other people involved. Or we may not feel free to fully share a situation that involves other people. Hence the fly. We're not conscious of it. It certainly doesn't influence us to do things differently. It's not partial to us over anyone else in the room.
But flies don't talk. And even if you had a fly that could speak at the right time and that followed you incognito everywhere you went, its perspective would still be limited. And it wouldn't know what you, or anyone else was really thinking. You'd need an army of super-intelligent flies (a swarm of which would somehow go unnoticed) to follow everyone in your life around and then get together and compare notes and hypothesize and form subcommittees and report their findings back to you.
Which brings me to another expression you've no doubt heard. "God only knows." So I guess I'm back to asking Him and learning to listen for an answer.

2 Comments:

  • I know exactly what you mean Coastal. It would be helpful in a lot of ways. Of course it could be fairly frightening and convivting in other ways (for some...not me of course, but for some).

    Not that I need a sports analogy for everything in my life (though I could definately have one for all things if so needed), but my brother once preached a sermon that I still find challenging today. He used the analogy of football to make a point. IN football, coaches will spend literally hours pouring over game film to see what the other teams strengths are, what their weaknesses are, and most importantly, what their habits, trends and "tells" are. Then they design a game plan based on what they have learned from watching every detail of their activities over and over again until they know them better than they know themselves.

    He went on to say that we are in a war and that the enemy spends a lot of time "watching our game film". He watches every move me make when we are alone and when we are in groups. He sees how we act and how we react. Then he plans accordingly. Ever wonder how the things in life that can cause us the MOST pain, the MOST depression, the MOST disappointment can continue to happen in our lives? Almost too consistently to be coincidence? Because it's most likely not.

    The military once used the following grading: once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action.

    I guess my point is that the fly on the wall is there. Watching, grading, planning. The fact that we don't fully share with others makes his job that much easier.

    The good side is that there is more than the fly on the wall. The spirit inside us sees it all too. But more importantly He sees our heart (which cannot be seen from the wall). He sees our motives, our deepest desires and loves. He too plans accordingly. "I know the plans I have for you...a plan to prosper and not to harm". "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

    God does know - but more importantly - He cares. Continue to ask, you will eventually learn how to listen. (at least that's what I keep getting told!) Besides if a fly landed next to me at the table and started in on what he had been observing in my life...I'm pretty sure that after I slapped his ass into dust - I would reflect back on the fact that he was talking to me and seriously freak out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:46 p.m.  

  • But then, why not a fly? If he could speak through an ass, why not a fly? Not that Balaam was eager to listen to said messenger.
    But seriously, God does know, and finds the most interesting ways of telling you. If you'll let him. He's already answering some of the questions that prompted this post, but I'll keep that to myself until I get through doing some of the things I think he's telling me I need to do. Won't be easy, but it'll probably be good when it's done.

    Cheers

    By Blogger Coastal, at 1:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home