Gone Coastal

Monday, June 25, 2007

UNCLE!

Well, the Bear's on the road again. But this past Friday and Saturday, my mom (Mor Mor to her grandkids) was over for a quick visit, and she brought my four-year-old nephew with her.
Now, the Bear and I have been auntie and uncle for almost as long as we've been together, and Uncle is a title the Bear wears very well. Okay, well there's been this slight tendency to load his sister's kids up on sugar and high excitement and hand them back, but that's not the point of this post. Since most of the nieces and nephews are a little older and more interactive, he very much enjoys exposing them to new things and investing a little of his wild life into them.
Case in point, a few years back, my niece came out to stay with my mom for a few weeks in the summer. While she was here, we hooked up with them at a friend's ranch in Cache Creek. Between the dogs, ATV rides and driving lessons and stories, he was a hit. That Christmas we got a card from her. She remembered her uncle's name, but I was 'mom's sister'. I still laugh at that!
So, back to this weekend. Our nephew is also very fond of big, manly men like the Bear, especially when he has a big loud red truck and other such cool things. The soundtrack for the two days was peppered with "Uncle ..." When I had talked to the Bear about our nephew coming along with Mor Mor on the visit, the wheels had immediately begun turning, and rolling down the runway. The Bear was scheduling a checkout flight with a local flight center and secured permission for a certain small passenger to come along. An hour is a really long time to hold the attention of a four-year-old, but they came awfully close with flying. And with his own headset part of the package in a small aircraft, the Bear gave him a chance to help out with the radios. Apparently, the exchange went something like this:
Cessna - "Gawf - Mikuhl - Alfuh - Zooloo downwin right. Reekehsting runway free fohr fuh touch an go."
Tower (female controller)- "Awwwwww! That's so cute. Honey, you can have anything you want!"

I suspect that memory will be a keeper for all involved.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Isn't it so cool to see your husband through the eyes of an adoring niece or nephew? My nephew asked my brother in law some question that really had no answer, and when his dad answered "I don't know", the nephew's response was "I bet Uncle Jonathan would know!"
    My brother in law's consolation is that his nieces and nephews think of him in the same way.

    By Blogger Mrs. Cowan, at 5:43 a.m.  

  • This may be the cutest thing I've read in a looong while.

    ps- can't wait to see you....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:26 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home