Gone Coastal

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Nesting

This is the post I'd expected to make last weekend, the one that'd been rolling around in my mind, gathering other thoughts up and tying them together into a coherent mass, ready to be drawn out and spun into a post.
Right at the heart of this ball is a question. Is it hormones or a forboding sense of all the extra responsibility on the horizon that makes an expectant mother need to try and settle all the outstanding, and typically longstanding, messes, and believe that suddenly she'll be able to keep on top of all the issues and tasks that have consistently been neglected up till now?
I'm inclined to think it's some of both, where some items fall closer to one end than the other. Like all those little (and not so little) projects like moving the raspberry bushes and levelling out the yard so it can be mowed and not be just a weed farm. Like setting up a designated dog-pile in the back like we had in Kelowna so we can retrain the dogs to go only in their corner, and not have to worry about demining before we go out in the yard. Like getting the paint stripped off the upstairs window so we can actually open it up and get some cross-ventilation happening. These I think fall closer to the true nesting instinct of wanting certain things in place before baby arrives, knowing it'll be much more complicated to make it happen after.
Then there's the ongoing pipe dreams that I'll suddenly be able to keep up with all the paperwork that comes through the door - paying and filing every bill on time, recycling everything recyclable in short order, shrinking the various piles of stuff to nothing, and keeping them gone - everything in its place and all. And keeping the dishes always cleaned and put away, the floors washed, the bathrooms done, and the laundry folded and stored.
Truth be told, I'm getting further behind in all these things, and yet I still think several times a week that 'this weekend, I'll make a big dent in it.' And Sunday afternoon comes and I look around and whatever I've done, the overall effect is still a bit more chaotic than the week before.
Well, I guess all I can say is, if any of you opt to come visit us here, consider yourselves warned. It's a mess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home